web stats
Convert ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 09-17-2015, 02:54 PM
OBX.2 Kenobi

brlmcguire is on a distinguished road
Default Convert ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8

Hello.

I am trying to convert an incoming message that is encoded as ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8.

I am grabbing the incoming raw message, using Java's String function to convert it to UTF-8 and then turn it into XML so that my subsequent steps can do further processing.

Code:
var rawdata = java.lang.String(connectorMessage.getRawData()).getBytes();
var utf8data = java.lang.String(rawdata, "ISO-8859-1").getBytes("UTF-8");
var utfstr = java.lang.String(utf8data);

channelMap.put('utf8msg',utfstr);
var utfxml = SerializerFactory.getSerializer('HL7V2').toXML(utfstr);

channelMap.put('utfxml', utfxml);
However, the resulting XML is different than the XML I would have gotten from the 'msg' channel variable.

This is causing my subsequent steps to fail, as they were built using the 'msg' variable.

So, my question is: what method is used the take the HL7V2 message and 'transform' it, as my method above is giving a different output.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Last edited by brlmcguire; 09-17-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:51 PM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

Strings are not encoded in any charset. They are merely a list of Unicode code points. Only the byte arrays themselves are encoded with a charset.

If you're receiving the data via, say, a File Reader or TCP Listener, then you should set the incoming charset encoding appropriately on the source settings. By default it will use the JVM default encoding (depends on your JRE/OS). If you're receiving it from an HTTP Listener, then the source connector will take the charset from the incoming Content-Type header (and if there is no such header, shame on the client sending to you).

Once you have the correct charset configured on the source connector, that's it, you have your string. And a string is a string; there is no such thing as a "string encoded in ISO-8859-1", or a "string encoded in UTF-8", unless you mean the raw byte representation that is used when you encode the string and then store the resulting byte array to disk somewhere.

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.

Last edited by narupley; 09-18-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:21 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

brlmcguire is on a distinguished road
Red face Ummm. Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narupley View Post
Strings are not encoded in any charset. They are merely a list of Unicode code points. Only the byte arrays themselves are encoded with a charset.

If you're receiving the data via, say, a File Reader or TCP Listener, then you should set the incoming charset encoding appropriately on the source settings. By default it will use the JVM default encoding (depends on your JRE/OS). If you're receiving it from an HTTP Listener, then the source connector will take the charset from the incoming Content-Type header (and if there is no such header, shame on the client sending to you).

Once you have the correct charset configured on the source connector, that's it, you have your string. And a string is a string; there is no such thing as a "string encoded in ISO-8859-1", or a "string encoded in UTF-8", unless you mean the raw byte representation that is used when you encode the string and then store the resulting byte array it to disk somewhere.
Colour me chagrined. You probably can't see it from there, but my face is a bright, flaming red right now.

Is there any way to delete this thread?

Thanks,

Bruce.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:38 AM
Mirth Newb

Turanga_Fry is on a distinguished road

Hi there, maybe you could help me with something regarding this subject also.

I have an HL7 message that is encoded with ISO 8859-15 and wanto to transform it to store in database in format utf-8

Is it possible that i can search throught all fields of the message and transform it one by one?

example:

I got this message with various OBX:

Code:
OBX|9|NM|S8^Leuc\XF3\citos|9|9,29|x 10E3/uL|3.8-10.6|N|||F|||20150114112600

OBX|10|NM|S9^Granul\XF3\citos Neutr\XF3\filos|10|65,0|%|||||F|||20150114112600

OBX|11|NM|S9^Granul\XF3\citos Neutr\XF3\filos|11|6,04||1.3-8.8|N|||F|||20150114112600
where there is Leuc\XF3\citos for example, i want to replace the "\XF3\" for "" . The code F3 in 8859-15 represents the "" in utf-8

I want to be able to do this for all the segments in the HL7 message where this occurs.

Thanks

Last edited by Turanga_Fry; 09-29-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:49 AM
Mirth Employee

You can use this code template: http://www.mirthcorp.com/community/f...3206#post43206

Then just do this in your transformer:

Code:
for each (obx in msg.OBX) {
	unescapeXSequences(obx['OBX.3'], 'ISO-8859-15');
}
Or if you want to do it for the entire message:

Code:
unescapeXSequences(msg, 'ISO-8859-15');

Nicholas Rupley
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:58 AM
Mirth Newb

I put it into the source transformers, and it says that is not defined.

Code:
ReferenceError: "unescapeXSequences" is not defined.

What am i missing?
Old 09-29-2015, 08:17 AM
Mirth Newb

Default Got it to work.

I already got it to work, it was simple that i am embarassed.

Had to put the code template in a source transformer rule (javascript) https://www.mirthcorp.com/community/...?t=6902&page=4

and then the part of the code that you said in another rule in source transformers
Code:
thanks for the heads up narupley

Ps:. has your name something to do with "naruto"?
Old 09-29-2015, 08:19 AM
Mirth Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turanga_Fry View Post
I already got it to work, it was simple that i am embarassed.

Had to put the code template in a source transformer rule (javascript) https://www.mirthcorp.com/community/...?t=6902&page=4

and then the part of the code that you said in another rule in source transformers
Code:
thanks for the heads up narupley

Ps:. has your name something to do with "naruto"?
Cool, glad you got it to work. FYI you can import that as a code template if you want, rather than copying the code into a transformer.

My initials are N.A.R., last name being Rupley, hence "narupley". Though I am a huge anime fan

Nicholas Rupley

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:37 AM
Mirth Newb

Quote:
Cool, glad you got it to work. FYI you can import that as a code template if you want, rather than copying the code into a transformer.

My initials are N.A.R., last name being Rupley, hence "narupley". Though I am a huge anime fan
Nice one Me too!
Keep up the good work !!

Regards