web stats
SMTP sender cannot find valid certificate - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 11-22-2013, 04:12 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

lueckep is on a distinguished road
Default SMTP sender cannot find valid certificate

Hello

I've got a locally hosted instance of Mirth Connect with a SMTP sender channel that attempts to connect to our Mirth Mail (Direct) server and have it send emails out for us. This channel has been running just fine but two days ago the certificate to our Mirth Mail domain (direct.mhin.com) expired. At that time I was unable to log into the Mirth Mail Appliance administrator without getting an error about the certificate. We renewed the certificate and I am now able to log into the administrator just fine. But... my SMTP sender channel can no longer connect to Mirth Mail. It gives the following error when it tries:
ERROR-402: SMTP connector error
ERROR MESSAGE: Error sending email message.
org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following server failed : direct.mhin.com:587
Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not convert socket to TLS;
nested exception is:
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderE xception: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.startTLS(SMTPTrans port.java:1652)
My guess is that Mirth Connect has cached off the old certificate somewhere and is still trying to use it. Does anyone know if that's true? I don't see it in the Windows Cert Manager nor in the Mirth Connect truststore. Do I just need to reboot Mirth Connect? That's a huge inconvenience for us so I want to be sure that it will resolve the issue before I schedule it.

Thanks
-Pat
Old 11-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

First, you can try from a different test instance, or even on a local instance of MC. If you're able to send out via SMTP there, that tells you that at least JavaMail is able to load the cert just fine, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't also work on the production instance after the JVM is restarted.

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:36 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

Thanks but no luck. I tried it from another Mirth Connect server (one that has never connected to our direct.mhin.com server before) and got the same error. I tried restarting the Mirth service and when that didn't fix it, I rebooted the entire server. Still no luck.

I was thinking that the issue was that the old cert is cached off on our Mirth Connect server somewhere but now I wonder if there is more than one cert on our direct.mhin.com server and we only renewed one of them. Would there be different certs that handle whether or not I can visit direct.mhin.com on a browser and whether or not I can use SMTP/TLS to connect to it on port 587? The one we renewed was in our Mirth Mail appliance admin > system > certificates.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:04 PM
What's HL7?

brambleryan is on a distinguished road

I'm having a similar problem, I think. I am unable to connect to an SMTP server on port 465. The requirement is to use TLS (although I do not see a TLS option, so I chose SSL). I am able to connect to this SMTP server from the Windows SMTP service on the server itself, but not from the SMTP sender channel in Mirth Connect.

I get the same error message about a certificate path. The correct certificate is installed for the service.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Mirth Employee

eduardoa is on a distinguished road

Where did you install the cert?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:32 AM
What's HL7?

brambleryan is on a distinguished road

In the windows certificate store for the mirth connect service account under trusted root certificates.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Mirth Employee

eduardoa is on a distinguished road

Your best bet is to add the cert chain to the Mirth Connect truststore found in mirthconnect/appdata/truststore.jks. Then restart the Mirth Connect service.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:06 PM
What's HL7?

mweber is on a distinguished road

Is anyone still working on this? Did it work?

If so I would be very appreciative to get more information about it.

Thank you.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:18 PM
OBX.2 Kenobi

I can confirm that for the initial issue posted on this thread, we did have to end up loading the cert to our mirthconnect/appdata/truststore.jks. From what I recall, the old cert was not in there so I'm still a bit stumped about how it was working previously...