web stats
Migrating Servers - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 06-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Mirth Guru

upstart33 is on a distinguished road
Default Migrating Servers

Hi,

Just wondering what the proper protocol to follow on migrating servers would be.

I had Mirth setup on 1 box, and now I have a new server that I want to migrate to without losing any data from the postgres db.

Some people have suggested just copying over the file structure to the new box, then performing an 'upgrade', while others have suggested installing a new instance of Mirth and the database, and then restoring from a backup of the db.

Is there any official way suggested to do it or any documents I can peruse? I have looked at the Wiki and can only find info for upgrading an existing instance on the same server.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 AM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

If the new instance of Mirth Connect will be the same version, then either method should work.

If you plan for your new instance to also be a newer version, either method will still work as long as you do it correctly. Realize that certain versions have subtle differences in schema structure. I think that in the migration/upgrade case, the best solution might be to upgrade the original instance first. Then install the same new version of Mirth Connect on the new machine (making sure to register services/daemons with the same names), install all your extensions, etc. Then you should safely be able to restore your PostgreSQL database from a backup.

Like I said though, either of your methods (or the one I suggested) will work in either case so long as it's done correctly.

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Mirth Guru

upstart33 is on a distinguished road

Just a quick update for any of those interested in migrating servers.

I was able to successfully move my Mirth Connect instance and Postgres database to another server without any real issues.

Assuming you are not upgrading versions, all that needs to be done is to install Mirth and the database on the new box, create a blank mirthDB, then restore from a Postgres backup taken from the old server.

All your channels, settings, and messages will be retained.

Protip: Make sure you are using the correct version of Java on your new box for the version of Mirth you are installing.

Tags
installation, instance, migrating, server